Our Mentorship program connects college students with experienced volunteers who will expose them to career opportunities, help them develop strategies for college success, and support their growth.
- Ability to establish a relationship based on respect, caring, and accountability
- Sensitivity to intersections of identity, including educational, economic, cultural and racial backgrounds, gender, and sexual orientation
- Sincere desire to connect with another person to help them achieve personal, educational, and career goals
- Strong listening skills, practical problem-solving skills, and the ability to suggest options and alternatives
Mentors work with Scholars through one of two tracks, both of which receive ongoing support from SCS Noonan staff.
Support a Scholar in building strong foundations for success in college.
- One year commitment
- Monthly communication with your Scholar
- Build a supportive relationship and explore topics of interest from the resources provided
- Examples include time management and finding a campus community
Expose a Scholar to professional skills and opportunities, help them explore career interests.
- Cycle length may vary, typically a 6- to 12-week commitment
- Communicate with your Scholar more frequently, e.g. every other week
- Guide your Scholar through goal-oriented themes and/or projects
- Examples include navigating your first intern experience